Monday, November 23, 2015

Wrinkled

I have this thing for dresses.

I've had my eye on a few floral prints as of late, and when it comes to a summery cream, or a spring shade of sky blue I can hardly contain myself.  Here are a few of my current favorites:

www.piperandscoot.com
www.roolee.com
www.willivia.com
 Especially with Christmas right around the corner, it's so easy to get caught up in a world of Instagram and Pinterest, Gap and J-crew, what my neighbor's best-friends aunt's daughter wore to that party a few nights ago, and suddenly everything in your closet seems out-dated, aged, and terribly inadequate.

That's when I have to remind myself. I have to remind myself about "less is more" and "have what you need and need what you have" and most of all, I have to remind myself that those out-dated, aged, and terribly inadequate dresses are the ones that got me where I am today.The cream lace tucked away in the back sent me to Krista Saltmarsh's wedding as her bridesmaid, the black quarter sleeve blanketed me as I watched one of my best friend's bear testimony of Jesus Christ before she left for a two year mission. I fondly refer to my little red dress as my lucky dress, for it seemed that all the beautiful and unexpected things happened when I wore her. Every girl should have a lucky dress, and if you don't? Find it. They're the best ones.

As much as I have a thing for dresses,
I have an even bigger thing for wrinkled dresses.

I like wrinkled dressed because it means you didn't just hold me, you squeezed me and pulled me into your arms and whipped me around like I weighed absolutely nothing. And then? And then you held my face in your hands so close I could see the freckles on your nose and that one in your eye and then? And then you kissed me. And you meant it. Wrinkled dresses signify a life lived, a smudge of dirt from an afternoon walk, a slobber stain on the left shoulder from a brand new baby, an interview braved, the night at that little Italian restaurant you won't ever forget.

What i'm not saying is that buying new things makes you a horrible person. In fact, i'm still debating between the three above (any suggestions?)

What I am saying, I suppose, is that it isn't about the dress at all. It's about the person in that dress. It's a little less about the floral, and a little more about the life. That's what i'm trying to remember as Christmas approaches.


Anyway, I can't believe I just wrote an entire blog post on clothing, but, what can you do. In more recent news; i'm terribly sick with some nasty virus, and i'm only three weeks out from completing my 3rd semester of Nursing School! Only one more semester till I am officially a Registered Nurse! Hurray!! If you need me, i'll be with where the NyQuil is.

Happy Monday!



1 comment:

  1. I love your blog! And those dresses are dreamy, but the middle one takes the cake for me! 😍

    ReplyDelete